Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Food Issues

I will be the first to admit that I have food issues. There are certain smells that nauseate me. I have a problem with portions, i.e. someone eating a humongous plate of anything makes me lose my appetite.

The oldies fry everything. (See fire story below.) Once I grilled a beef tenderloin and the next day, she was frying the leftovers. When I served shrimp cocktail during the holidays, she fried up the rest.

They eat dessert with every meal. Breakfast is fried eggs, fried bacon, toast slathered with butter and then either cookies or coffee cake. We should buy our own dairy farm to save costs on butter.

My three recent favorites are:
  • Cheese slop
  • Tomato gravy
  • Cracker mush

Cheese slop involves an iron skillet with a ton of melted butter. Then she throws some Velveeta cheese slices on top of it. She actually puts the hot skillet on a trivet and puts it right in front of him with some slices of white bread. The man is legally blind -- yeah, that's safe.

Tomato gravy is some concoction with stewed tomatoes and cream. It looks disgusting and it smells worse. They gobble it up like a cat with tuna.

Cracker mush involves breaking a bunch of Club crackers in a bowl and pouring cream on top. Yum!

Once, she had a friend over to help make greens. My friend (J) was so nauseated by the smell she threw up in my driveway.

When I make a (normal) dinner of grilled whatever and a salad or veges, they both look at me like I've lost my mind. How did they live this long with these eating habits?

2 comments:

janis said...

I didn't actually throw up in the driveway...(close)it was more of that, it's in my throat! Get me out of here, I am gonna hurl! It was one of the nastiest smells I have ever smelled & I can't imagine someone would actually eat that. I pity S, I could never put up with the cooking ordeals on a daily basis.j

Darin said...

Bad news S. Pams grandmother also ate everything fryed,and covered with butter. She lived to be 98. Hang in there.