Sunday, April 29, 2007

Who's the boss? Who's in control?

As a child of the 60s and 70s, I have definitely been influenced by the culture of the times. I grew up with a mother who worked outside the home and still finds great satisfaction in her career. I have always been better at asking forgiveness than asking permission.

The mother-in-law is completely in charge. There is no doubt about who controls the finances or the decisions. Yet, she has this completely charming way of making the father-in-law think he's in control.

The husband always tells me that life would be so much easier if I would just realize that he's the boss of me. (Tongue in cheek humor but he's semi-serious.) It's probably not going to happen but I love it that he keeps trying. I remind him that he has helped raise a daughter who is probably the strongest woman I know.

No comments: