Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Economy



Isn't it scary? Are you, like me, skittish about how much worse it might get? So many people are in completely awful situations. Yes, many could have handled things differently but who foresaw the Wall Street and financial industry fiasco? Who imagined the possible demise of the Big 3 automakers? Who thought we'd all know people who have lost their home, their job, their retirement or all three? The disparity between the haves and have-nots is larger than the grand canyon.

Much of this mess I call my life can be traced right back to me. Even with the mistakes that were not mine entirely, I was an enabler. I also fell into my awful habit of looking the other way or total denial about financial matters. Trust me. It's not a smart solution.

I am still a pollyanna and I do believe we will recover. The economy will improve. I will get a full-time job. Consumer confidence will slowly return and we will find a new normal. I shed my rose-colored glasses along the way but I do realize my situation is a friggin' rose garden compared to some people I meet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! During my voluntering times with St. Vincent de Paul I have met people who are in dire situations because of no fault of their own and others who are third generation welfare cases. You just know the first will overcome and have a new appriation for the situation and the rest will spend the rest of them will spend forever in welfare. And oftentimes they are just living what they have learned.
Times are very bad but I believe we will overcome. Patsy

Mark Pressley said...

My wife owns automobile dealerships, and I am employed as a manager for TK Constructors –home builder-

My wife’s business is surviving and that is a blessing. She purchased the business just over four years ago and for the last two years has not taken a check just to stay financially smart.

I wrote a letter to the owner of TK just over six years ago to implement a recession plan. This letter is one of the reasons TK is still operating when giants such as Davis, CP Morgan and others have folded. I cut my pay to a minimum two years ago and now I do not receive a check at all but we are still fighting the good fight. So the bottom line at forty seven my family is living on our saving account.

There are so many issues that go back almost sixteen years ago and the government still does not get it today. Clinton implemented a plan so that every one could buy a home. - Freddy, and Sallie, Heart, Nehemiah –and everyone at the time knew it was a house of cards; It was a fool’s game.

The US Automakers are saddled with paying many thousands of employees that are retired and making upwards of fifty thousand dollars a year and benefits. How can a company be competitive and pay so many that are not producing.

I am not a Bush apologist either it is amazing when you look at the line of politician’s that have been put in front of us for the last hand full of years. Bush, Gore, Clinton, Obama, Kerry, McCain, so on and so on. Is this the best our country has to offer?

I know most of you will defend Obama he is new; he has inherited a mess. Folks he has spent more money in the last six weeks then Bush did in the last eight years with two wars! If any of you think that the new stimulus plan has anything to do with restoring the economy then yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

I do believe the economy will turn around, in my original letter I had said that I believed the turn around would start in the fall of 2009. I now think it will be longer than that, we will survive and yes the economy will come around my real concern is for the next generation they are now competing for job’s with people that have over twenty years experience. They are now tied down with wasteful government spending, their rights are being chipped away daily, many of the businesses that they will do business with and work for will be operated by the government.

America will survive it is what we do but the rules are changing, hang in there.

cecily crossman said...

I agree with everything in your last paragraph. Only I'm not a pollyanna and I don't think you are either.

I think you're tough.