Friday, March 6, 2009

Wasn't He Famous Once?



More snippets from the land of Temp Hell ...

First of all, there have been no more prizes since the day I blew everyone else away. I have continued to sit in my stall like a veal and work like a dog but alas, no prizes! Those of you vying for the coffee mug might have to wait until next week. I need to keep my current one handy as a possible weapon.

When my little herd was hired to join the team, there were four of us who went through training (and I use that word lightly) at the same time. Of the four, Danny (not his real name but close to it) was born to be a pep squad leader. I found him annoying but chalked him up as someone who would be great at sales. Instead, Danny did not make a single sale on the first day we worked and then he never returned. I guess he was banished to the temp afterlife.

Jimmy (also roughly 12-years old) was very nervous. Once we were assigned to our stalls -- I leapt over someone to get the one in the corner -- Jimmy chose the one next to me. We can all hear each other and Jimmy used to give himself little pep talks before he picked up the phone.
"Be the man! You can close it!"
Jimmy lasted a day and a half. He made one sale and left after lunch on the second day.

Cindy (I chose this name because she has a slight speech impediment like Cindy on the Brady Bunch) is still with us. She is a single mother. She's very friendly and curious. When someone mentioned the Jerry Lewis telethon, she actually said:
"I know he was famous for something. Was he an actor?"


Cindy also asked me about my family. I was slightly evasive and just said our children are grown. Then, as if I didn't already feel older than dirt, she asked me how many grandchildren I have.

I'll have to fill you in on the rest of the herd later. Off to my stall I go, ready to defend myself in the parking lot and ready to close that sale!

"Never get into fights with ugly people. They have nothing to lose."
Unknown

3 comments:

Mark Pressley said...

Oh that is a picture of Jerry Lewis. I thought it may have been a picture of the Full Sized Motivator.

All great athletes have slow downs in their win streaks stay focused the three peat is with in reach! The Mug shall be mine!

On a real note keep your chin up. Lots of people are out of work and have no one to turn to; I laid off eighty six people last year alone. - Housing Business – it has been a real fun time for the last couple of years. It can’t last forever but we still have a way’s to go.

Humor is a great pill to help with the pain, keep laughing it helps.

PS
I like Wall mart where else can you get a Hotdog, a Hammer, and a Suit at the same place all for under $47.50, nice suit’s to Powder Blue the dogs kind of stick with you for a while though.

Anonymous said...

I have lived in this "One Day At A Time" World for a few years now. A real Challenge!

It holds no appeal, no real emotion, no direction, no real feeling of accomplishment, certainly no excitement, and little, if any hope that each day will be any different than the one you've "just gone through".

I agree wholeheartedly with Mark! Humor is the best Medicine for dealing with the "Twists and Turns" that are sure to come in this life!

I Have No Advice, but I do believe that the only answer is our Trust and Faith in God, that by taking "One Step At A Time", this too shall pass, and somehow, we will be better and stronger because of it. As Mark writes, we COULD be one of the unlucky ones, without a job at all! :-(

As for me, I will just continue to pray that the "journey to brighter days" is just around the corner!

Hang in there! I just know that "The Best Is Yet To Come"! I hope, I hope, and I pray! Love, Bren

Anonymous said...

A high schooler asked me, "When you started driving did you have to crank your car?"