Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Overachievers Anonymous

More tales from the temp job ...

I am in serious need of a 12-step program and it's not for alcohol, drugs or overeating. Nope. I am an overachiever even when I would rather not be. I am well trained from my childhood to give everything my best shot.

At my little kindergarten job, we have daily contests. Sometimes it is the number of "sales/commitments" you complete. Other days it might be referrals or something else. I want to scream, "I am just here to do a job -- I do not want to participate in these insulting and ridiculous activities!" But, I don't. I go about my business, stay on the phone, and keep my head down in my little stall, trying to remain incognito.

For two days in a row, I have won the daily contest. Monday I won a coffee mug. (Don't you get jealous now!) Yesterday, I completed the most sales anyone has ever done on one day. This resulted in the director doing some kind of fat girl cheer. Other people in my position pretended to clap along but they're not fooling me. One of them says my name in a very snarly tone. I am convinced she's going to jump me in the parking lot. ("Jump" might be a stretch -- she is also a rather large woman/child.)

My prize for yesterday's contest is .... drumroll .... I get to wear jeans to work today. This is a reward concept I have never grasped. But, I am a team player so I am wearing my good black jeans.

"I've tried relaxing, but -- I don't know -- I feel more comfortable tense."
Hamilton


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God you have a sense of humor, watch out for the fat mean girls....Deb.

Anonymous said...

The best part is that it is a "temp" job. One day it will be a dim memory. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

Despite your wish to dumb down, keep knocking it out of the ball park!

You'll use all of this later. In fact, you're using it now. Thanks for sharing.

You're still my hero.

Anonymous said...

Patsy is right--this is just a "temp" job. I am a mean fat girl and I can beat the S--t of of anyone who hurts my cousin.Just look at this situation as you are getting some really funny material for your blog. I must admit,it is nice to know all idiots dont live in the South. Love Ya

janis said...

Good thing we had that cheer season back in October, you needed that refresher so you can cheer your co workers on!
Oh Sher~ This too will pass and just think of the marvelous tales you will recieve.
Besides, remember what does not kill you will only make you stronger.
There is nothing you can not handle. You are one tough girl.

ps can I have the coffee mug?

Anonymous said...

If you excel today, I'll bet you get the coupon for a free fry with the purchase of a sandwich (at regular price) Explore the possibility that they are not stupid-they have just been doing these jobs so long they are defeated.

Mark Pressley said...

Set your goals on another coffee cup. The cup will make a good object to throw at the fat chick when you have had enough, and then you can give me the other cup, I LOVE COFFEE.