Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cleaning

It is true that for most of my adult life, I have had someone clean my house. Single, divorced, married ... it didn't matter. As long as I could afford it, I did it. Truthfully, I did it even when I really couldn't afford it but I was spoiled. (In my defense, I still did some cleaning!) Anyway, the whole cleaning thing changed about a year ago.

While living with my oldies, I try to help out. The comedian Steven Wright (who reminds me a lot of George Carlin) used to say, "It's a small world ... but I wouldn't want to paint it." I would change that sentence to: It's a small world but I wouldn't want to dust it.

Earlier this week, I pitched in with my oldies and another couple to help clean our church. (Remember one of my resolutions was to volunteer more.) It was rewarding.

I may not always clean my house but I felt a great joy in helping to clean God's house.

4 comments:

janis said...

Please clean my house! Now that is volunteering.

Anonymous said...

a bit of the joy is still hanging in the air. I feel it in the building.

C

Anonymous said...

You added so much beauty to the cleaning day !! You are such fun !! ..don't know about that "C" guy though...I'm off to the islands !!! S

Anonymous said...

I had a maid once for two days. i felt so bad that she was working so hard that I did not have the heart to invite her to return....well, that's my story and I am sticking to it, if you know what I mean!

In the career of House-keeping, I must say, "A maid's work is never done". Done right, that is! I guess i am just too dang thorough, but I DO like to dust UNDER things, not just on TOP of them. A "Swipe" here and a "Swipe" there, a Hundred Dollars does not merit, at least from this ladies' budget. "A Hit and A Miss and I am out of Here" does not create a bond, in the scheme of things. No-pee! No-pee! Not when I can sling a Feather Duster at no cost!

Besides, it saves on "Note pads", when I can just leave messages on my furniture tops!

I must say that while I do not neglect my housekeeping duties, it can always use a bit more TLC, and there are times more often now as i get older and seem to work longer hours, that a Maid or much preferred "Fairy God Mother" would be so nice!

How I wish I could return to the day when Dads went to work and Moms stayed at home doing their motherly duties(which are so-o underrated), and no
one even thought of Divorce, as it was not an option,' tho I know it was also the "Day of the Concubine" or "Amour" or "Mistress", as we know today.
Our world has just gotten so turned around from all the standards that we once lived by....and you know what! It is not working!
As a very Wise Man once said..."When it is not broke, Don't Fix It"! What More To say...
Love, Bren