Saturday, February 21, 2009

Doll Clothes


I am long overdue for purging closets. So, I've begun sorting and piling. I'm trying to abide by the rule that if I have not worn it in more than a year, out it goes. It's embarrassing how many items I have hung onto for so many years. Many of my business clothes are left over from my corporate days. Hmmm .... I left that position in 1997.

Some donations are only worthy of the Goodwill box but many of the suits and jackets would work for someone who is interviewing or starting to establish a work wardrobe. I take those to a local women's shelter. I dropped several beautiful (and expensive) things off the other day and the volunteer made a snide crack about the sizes.

I didn't like the comment or her tone. It hurt my feelings and it made me second guess my choice of donation destinations. I could have made a crack right back but I'm trying to work on my passive-aggressive tendencies.

But I probably won't take more donations there for a while.

5 comments:

janis said...

That makes me a multitude of emotions.
1. Proud.. of you! I have been in your closet room (and I do mean room!). It was time.
2. Shame.. for the person making the remark. I know this is Indiana, but there are women in your size! They are not all cows! I use to fit in your clothes until recently. I am sure that there are some women that will be tickled to "find" your gift! And it will make them stand a little taller at that interview.
3. Jealousy.. that I haven't done the same thing. I really need to. I keep thinking that I may wear this or that again, but seriously who am I kidding? They need to go!
4. Amused.. that you found a final spot for this card from Mom. It is a funny cartoon!

cecily crossman said...

I'll take your clothes.

Anonymous said...

We volunteer at Dress for Success in NYC and know the value of receiving good quality suits in any size. Good for you for making the contribution and shame on her for not receiving it with anything but gratitude.

Anonymous said...

I would like to really encourage you to write a really nice e-mail or letter to the organizations Manager. They probably have no idea that their volunteer is putting people off, and who knows how often it's happened! Employees and volunteers can be really two faced acting wonderful in fron to f their boss's and powertripping to clients, I woudl be doing the organization and all of the people who need it a huge favor to speak up about how you were treated.

Good for your for purging your closet though... that's hard enough as it is!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri- I hope this finds you well...except for the clothes deal.
Don't let yourself get to upset over someone elses short comings.
mary d
moore (pasadena st.) : )