Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Friendship Story


In The Big Chill, there's a scene where the group of friends is reflecting on their friendship. One of of them says, "It's no surprise that our friendship could survive that (referring to their youth) -- it's out here that it gets tough."

The four girls in this photo have survived our childhood friendship with each other for over 3 decades. And this weekend, we have set aside a few days for our girlfriend reunion. Deb, Jan and I have done this for eons -- some years more than others. For the first time, our friend Lynn will also join us. We lost contact with Lynn for a while and are now making up for lost time.

It's not fair to give them labels but I'm going to do it anyway.

Lynn is the funny one. As young girls, she was also the brave one. I never know what will come out of her mouth. Last night she told me she was so excited about this weekend, she felt like "a d**k on a date." Not quite the phrase I would have chosen but I'm equally excited.

Deb is the serene one. People might think she's shy or quiet but she's not. She's just smart enough to assess people and situations to avoid putting her foot in her mouth. Under the surface is the teenager I remember. We all revert to high school when we gather.

Jan wears her heart on her sleeve. She would've made a great Miss America -- her passions have always been children and animals. (Plus I"m pretty sure she wants world peace too.) She also holds the unenviable position of the first person I call for almost any crisis or disaster -- real or imagined.

We all have a little bit of crossover. We can all be funny but we're not quite as "out there" as Lynn. We all have a hesitant or shy side but I'm not sure we do it with Deb's studious style. We all try to be kind but we won't measure up to Jan. We shouldn't even try.

My oldies are a little paranoid. They have heard me talk of these reunions for years and they know no topic or question is off limits. They are convinced that we might discuss them a bit. Hmmm ...

So, I toast my golden friends as I count the days until I get to spend a little while in celebration of love and laughter.

4 comments:

janis said...

Okay... How weird is this? I also posted about us about an hour ago and used the SAME PHOTO! We are too weird.
I cried when I read yours.

You forgot your label, let me help:

Sheri~ she is our leader, our commander in chief. She is the smart one. She always brings the peace, the rationizing, the logic. She also is the glue that holds us together.

I couldn't be more blessed to be within this group of fine women.

I love them.

ps~ I do want World Peace!

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine the fun each of you are having this wk-end! You will come out of this wk-end so refreshed and with so many things! New Perspectives,New insights, New understandings, Validations, the medicine only laughter can induce, Blessings Galore, and Gratefulness anew, that no matter what comes in this life, there will be no Divorce, you will always have each other! I love you! Bren

Anonymous said...

Nice to see this picture again. You or Jan posted this before. Sounds like you had a blast.

I just got back from Colorado and got to ski all day on Thursday with Lisa Desch. Her last name is now Gamber if you want to peek at her on facebook. She is still living in Breckenridge and enjoying the dream. Lisa just went back to school to get her masters in accounting. She never did have kids but lives through her nieces and nephews much like I do. By the way, she says hello and wishes you well.

We had a blast-- my old Teter friend Dave Clingan went along as well with Eric and I.

We had an aborted landing tonight on Frontier airlines-- just about to land and the plane pulled up strong-- straight up. Found out we were cleared for landing but a plane was slow and still on the runway. First time I ever experienced this-- kind of hairy after just what happened in New York. It this makes the news, that was our plane.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Opps-- did this again without signing my name,


Rich