Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Cannot Wrap My Mind Around It

This is yet another example of me wanting to ask, "Seriously?"

So a divorced woman in California has six children, the oldest is seven. (Seriously? Who has six children? What single mother has the resources for six children under age seven?) She and her children live with her parents. (Seriously? Adult moves back in with parents? Ok, I have to give her that one but I didn't bring six kids along.)

She decides she must have another child, hoping for another girl. (Seriously?) Alas, she is unmarried so she decides to undergo in vitro fertilization. (Seriously? Who is paying for that? What doctor would do that knowing her circumstances?) The quack doctor inserts multiple embryos and apparently most, if not all, take up camp. Once the multitude of future babies is discovered, the mother is offered "selective reduction" or some other glossy-phrased procedure to rid her body of too many babies. She checks the box that says, "No thank you very much." (Seriously?)

A team of 40-plus medical people delivered the babies. They thought there were seven, but surprise! there's an extra one. The mother is still recovering and the babies will be in the hospital for weeks or months. (Who is paying for this? Who will pay for the special needs that are almost certain to arise?)

In the paper the other day, the grandfather to these 14 children said something like this, "We're talking to the media now but we have a big house somewhere else and once we move there, no one will be able to find us." (Seriously? A woman with her parents AND her fourteen children will somehow become AWOL from the media?)

Her mother had the best comment (and I am paraphrasing,) "I wish she had just been a kindergarten teacher."

To top if all off, the mother filed for bankrupcy in 2008. Seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously! I whole-heartedly agree with every thought you are having. Unbelievable! You DO know, of course that there are people in this world who definitely know how to work the system! (Reference: my life long work has basically been with people of this mindset, a real education for me that you can not get in a classroom)

That said, I must add, and i struggle with this one!

According to God's word, there are no illegitimate children. Remember the Bible verse..."I knew you before you were formed in your mother's womb"
(May be paraphrased)

All I can say is, God Bless them everyone! And God, while you are Blessing, I give you....our whole world!

Bren

janis said...

I agree with Bren, SERIOUSLY?
I have only caught a glimpse of this story, I had no idea. OMGosh, how ridiculous. I knew she had 6 other children, and her folks were helping her. But I thought Dad was there,and money wasn't an issue.

Can you say Baby machine? When I heard she had that litter of babes I thought, My God!
It brought up interesting conversations with several about selective reduction.

Oh My Gosh. Is she looking for her 15 minutes of fame? Is she looking for replacing "John & Kate Plus Eight" with "Idiot (mom) plus 6 (previous children)plus 7 (septetlets) plus 1 (hidden baby "H") plus 2 (the terrified Grandparents)". As much as I adore J & K + 8, I will pass on this reality possibility!
Seriously!
Good Post!

Anonymous said...

The family is currently living in a three bedroom ranch that looks like some one tossed in a grenade, and this is before the new Brady Bunch comes home.

As to God a will refrain from upsetting the audience, but I am sure God was thinking “I gave you a brain use it!”

Mark

Anonymous said...

And to top it all off she said she plans to breast feed all eight babies!!!! Good luck with that Elsie!!! Kim