Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait

Lately life, and I'm not just talking about mine, seems to be filled with waiting. As a person with limited patience, I find this maddening. Some of this is out of anyone's control. If a friend is waiting for test results or anxious about an upcoming appointment, all the pacing in the world isn't going to make the outcome happen sooner.

But here's the other thing I've noticed. Some of the busiest people are the most responsive. Years ago, I worked with the then-president of The Indiana Heart Hospital. Over the course of our business relationship, he traveled extensively. I was constantly checking the time in Asia and other far away locales before I would leave a voice mail. Regardless of the message or email, I always heard from him within hours. He has since moved to a new position in Arizona and I received an email (from his assistant) with his new contact information. This email went to hundreds of business associates. I sent him a quick email wishing him well in the new year -- I heard from him within the hour. No wonder he's so successful.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt... they must be overwhelmed with business or phone calls or life. Some days I succeed but today I have not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting last paragraph...I'm not sure that I understand it. As a friend, I appreciate your reaching out as much as your reacting to a contact.

janis said...

I think you are just as professional. You always respond within an hour, unless I say, "it's not urgent, call me whenever you get a minute". That is why you have been successful in the past and will be again with your next business journey.