Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Forty-Seven Years




As I sit here, separated from my husband and living with my oldies, it is not lost on me that I have not excelled at marriage.

My oldies (my incredible parents) were married 47 years ago today. They continue to be living examples of what a marriage should look like. It's not all roses and sweetness. It's a quiet devotion and respect of each other. It's love and concern that truly wants the best for each other. It's snapping in frustration and snapping out of the mood or the attitude before ugly things are said. It's Honor with a capital H.

Sometimes I watch them ... I've been doing it for years. I was born 17 months after their marriage and I've been studying them my entire life. Of course they have had their struggles and rocky times. Even in those circumstances, they somehow remain steadfast in their union.

We all know it takes two people to make a strong marriage just like it takes two people to screw it up. We're supposed to believe that no problems are insurmountable. Sorry, I don't believe that anymore.

I do believe shining examples of strong and healthy marriages are all around us. I live here. I see it every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know it or not; like it or not you are a child of John Wesley (founder of the Methodist movement.)He was quite a realist, pragmatist and generally smart guy; characteristics I see in you (except for the guy part)

C

janis said...

What a lovely tribute to a wonderful couple! Congratulation to Paul & Sandy.

cecily crossman said...

This is one of my favorite pictures. No wonder you're so good looking.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Paul and Sandy. I still see Paul looking at you in the same way. Patsy