Saturday, January 17, 2009

Drugged Out


Just one of the many fun things about returning to live in my childhood home is running across relics from the past. The book above is just one of the many I have discovered. I remember reading it in the early 70s and I remember my oldies discussing it with me. In fact they continued to have the good drug v. bad drug discussion with me through my college days.

My father is still on the sick pillow. The doctor said he may continue to feel lousy while his body recovers. So, even though the antibiotic pills (usually a good drug) are done for now, he still has trouble sleeping which he needs for his recovery.

For sleep aid, the doctor prescribed something heavy duty. The kind that the pharmacist scans your eyes and your face trying to judge if you plan to sell these on the street. The kind that would not just make you forget to feed your baby -- you would forget that you had a baby.

This may be a good drug for some people but it was a bad drug for my father. He was hallucinating and having horrible nightmares. He had trouble breathing from the panic. One pill did not a good night make.

Obviously he requested a different medication and it seems to be working. Good drug! He slept well last night and has been dozing all day. He already looks better thanks to some well-needed rest. The only side effect from the new drug (other than he might not stop sleeping for the next week) is he's grasping for the proper word. He asked my mother what one of the dog's name is. When he's awake, he's grinning a lot. I attended a gathering for a friend's mother's recent death. When I came home, my father asked me, "How was the furniture?"

Then he gave me a hug and said, "See you at dinner." My mother's theory is as long as his appetite remains constant, she's not worried.

3 comments:

janis said...

Hang on to those bad drugs, I may have a buyer for you!
JUST KIDDING!!!

ps.. Are you sure he wasn't inquiring about the "furniture" at the gathering? He does have an eye for fine quality craftmanship?

Anonymous said...

Tell your dad not to feel bad, the other night Jake was sleep walking and went into Drew's room and did a little bellerina dance. The next morning he didn't have a clue as to what he did. When we told him he said next time he was going to do a Rock and Roll dance! Kim

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I did not realize that Paul is still sick. This is not going to be the good winter for him that we thought it would be. Our grandson's stepgrandfather is a quiet man who has been going through a rough time with pain. Pam said that on Christmas day he was going around telling everyone he loved them a giving lots of hugs. Guess that was the result of a good drug. Hang in there Paul! Patsy