Monday, January 26, 2009

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


















Can't do it. Or, won't do it. Whether it's literally or figuratively, I do not let sleeping dogs lie.

This is my dog, the Gabster, having tucked herself in bed for a little snooze. Well, I insist on petting her because she looks so darn cute. Then I pet her and talk to her. Then I take her picture and the flash annoys her.

When faced with an issue or life situation, I go to one of two extremes. I bury my head in the sand for a while or I ponder and discuss it to death. (Hmmm... Wonder where I got that little quirk?) Even when things are resolved, I want to bring it up again. Even when everyone involved has voiced his or her thoughts, I can't seem to let it lie. I've been accused of beating a dead horse. Is that the same as not letting sleeping dogs lie? All these animal metaphors get confusing to me.

I'm not even sure this is something I want to change about myself. Going over and over things helps me to understand and clarify. But I will try to leave Gabby alone when she's quietly enjoying her nap time.

3 comments:

janis said...

Awe! Gabby looks so sweet! i rarely see her so relaxed! I would say she has adjusted well to sleeping in a bed.
Ponder away my dear friend. Your thought process is a very good way and I wish I thought that way more myself.

cecily crossman said...

I miss you when you don't write for a day or so. Glad you're taking pix of Gabby and glad you're cooking with the olive oil.

Anonymous said...

OKAY, OUT GOES MY CRISCO! Which, I might add sits right beside my son's olive oil in the pantry. I just have to say that Chicken n' Dumplings are not quite the same made with Olive Oil. Sounds like home, as my son and I both spend time in the kitchen! He, cooking with Olive Oil, wonderful Salmon dishes with gourmet salads etc. Yes! and sauted veggies! I, with my pots of whatever! Homemade Chili, Soups, Dumplins, biscuits and gravies. Not Smart! Not Good! How did this happen? My three children grew up on the foods of MY Choice, as they had no choice, and now they are all eating much more healthy. Good for them! But at least once a year, at Thanksgiving, they are reminded of what once was with the meats and casseroles and breads and gravies...can you imagine a Thanksgiving Stuffed Salmon with almost raw veggies and green salad?
We would all be better for it! As for "Gabster", I'll bet he would be thinking, just bring on Grandma's Vittels, those gravies sound mouth-watering!