Thursday, January 22, 2009

No Privacy

I'm watching two news people discuss the Caylee Anthony case, which continues to get more bizarre. Now they've discovered a heart sticker on the child's remains. The reporter is discussing the dream team of attorneys and forensic experts assembled for the defense and throws into the mix, " ... the Anthonys are deeply in debt." Probably the death of their granddaughter and the charges facing their daughter are top of mind. When the dust settles, will it really be necessary for the general public to know this factoid about their finances?

If you've ever made a late payment or missed a debt, you know what it's like to be tracked down like a dog. If you've been married before, creditors call anyone and everyone remotely associated with you, your exes, their exes, parents, etc. I recently received some junk mail for -- get this -- my husband's exwife's exhusband. This was just a stupid leaflet but I'm sure we've all received calls and mail for each other. Once a name or address changes on a document, anyone with access to your credit report can look up all kinds of information.

Remember the childhood threat of "Don't do that -- it will go on your permanent record." It's true; it just wasn't explained very well.

Facebook and other social networking sites allow us to connect but they also steal a bit of our privacy. I belong to some but I'm leery. I cringe at some of the things I see while browsing these sites. I'm a little "out there" with this blog but it's nothing incriminating to me or others. So what if you learn that I've lived my entire 40s with oldies. It's true and it's part of my permanent record.

Speaking of privacy, there is none for my oldies either. I know who's up in the middle of the night. I know all medical issues and medications partly because I"m nosy and partly because we discuss everything incessantly. I know when it's naptime because I walk around by myself, look at the clock and think, "Seriously?" (It's kind of like kindergarten when you could be happily coloring or playing a game and the teacher would announce, "Get your sleepy mat -- it's time to lie down." That always annoyed me.) Now I get frustrated because I never learned to nap. I can barely sleep at night.

Of course, my oldies know far more about me than they would like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I know what chanel you are talking about. When I turn it on and they start talking about that case I have to turn it off because I think they are beating a dead dog until the law does something about the mother. And when Nancy Grace refers to her as "tot mom" it goes right through me , for some reason. Patsy

Anonymous said...

This is one of the saddest, most hurtful and tragic examples of the culmination of Satan's work I have yet to hear about! We must remember...! Where the Holy Spirit does NOT DWELL, Satan takes RESIDENCE! He doesn't just "ponder" entering your soul, he wastes no time! He takes residence...per God's word! We know that no Godly human being could commit such an act.
Rather than "hate" the person, we, as God's people, need to band together to persecute the EVIL, 'tho we do know that as long as the world exists, so will evil!
I can not imagine the extent of Satan's wrath, until I hear about something like this! I, for one, want no part of anything that does not come from our God above!
But, make no mistake! He will continue his wrath, and each time you pick up the newspaper or turn on CNN or FOX NEWS or your local channel, you will hear and read about his "trail of destruction"!! He IS the DESTROYER! The Destroyer to God's World and every precious thing in it, if God's people choose to follow him! We DO have a Choice and unfortunately, Caylee's mom made the wrong one.... Fortunately for Caylee, God was right there, with open arms, to take her into custody for all eternity! Bren