Monday, January 12, 2009

Alright Already

I have long had my issues with the religious right wing and their various movements. Of course, I recognize this is odd since I share many of their beliefs. When my feathers are ruffled, I ask myself why. Is it because they are infringing on my beliefs or just my right to believe otherwise? Is it the militant style of "my way or the highway" that turns me off? Am I blaming the masses for the hypocrisy I have witnessed in a few?

I am a religious person. I do not cram it down anyone's throat. I do not believe that my denomination or belief system makes me a better person. (In fact, I believe my faith is a balm for my endless weaknesses.)

There's no escaping the debate. Should Rick Warren be performing the invocation for Obama's inauguration? Will the Middle East ever find peace without addressing religious freedom? How can other countries insist on policies around the world that hold different and wildly varying beliefs? Should our politicians pray before opening a meeting? Should "under God" stay in the Pledge of Allegiance?" Should our currency continue to be minted with "In God we Trust?" Does that make our dollar invalid when an athiest uses it?

Politics and religion have been partners and opponents since the beginning of time. I don't have the answers to these questions but I am equally certain the right wing conservatives don't have a direct line to God any more than I do.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

Openly gay Episcopal bishop Gene Robinson will do the prayer at one of the inauguaration kickoffs - so it all evens out.