Sunday, January 4, 2009

Winter Vacations

I wasn't able to vacation last winter -- I don't think two trips to Mississippi to bury the Belle and the Captain count as fun getaways. For a wide variety of reasons, I won't be taking any fun jaunts this winter either. As long as I can remember, I've looked forward to winter trips. Indiana winters can be brutal and endless gray days make for endlessly gray moods.

I have been so blessed with travel opportunities over the years. Friends with second homes in warm weather cities have welcomed me many times. (Southwest Florida is Ditto Indiana -- it's practically impossible to vacation there and not run into someone you know.) I have also traveled on business and tagged along with the husband any time I was allowed. Over the weekend, several of our couple friends left on a 7-day cruise and I'm jealous. In a couple of weeks, the workout girls head to Zona. Memories of great times will have to warm me this year.

I've never understood adults who vacation in the summer. I'm not talking about family vacations while the children are out of school but couple time or girlfriend trips.

Indiana is plenty nice for most of the year but in January, February and March, I'm constantly itching to get out of Dodge. Maybe next year.

3 comments:

janis said...

Im sorry you are going to miss the winter trips. particularly the girlfriend trips.
maybe we should do a day trip or two and visit our college kids. They'd love it! Or maybe I should say, we'd love it!
Also don't forget we may get our Deb for a couple days soon! C:

cecily crossman said...

I liked my winter vacation. Especially being with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad you won't be joining us in Zona...it isn't right without you. Everytime I built a fire and sat in the reading chair, I thought of you. You will be missed. Definitely, next year!!!