Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Transition

Like most of you, I watched the inauguration today. I'm in awe of our country's ability to accomplish the smooth transition of power. Whatever your politics, you must admit it was an impressive scene and ceremony.

I hope our new president has a fraction of the energy displayed by his younger daughter. She does not walk -- she prances and dances, she bounces with enthusiasm. I hope he has his eye on the ball as often as his older daughter has her eye on the crowds. I love it that she carries her camera to all the festivities, as if there will be no record of this historic time without her personal documentation.

I hope Michell Obama never perfects the political wife standard look of idiotic and mindless devotion. I like it that she seems determined and down to earth. She seems like someone who will not wear a lot of false fronts.

I went to the official website of the white house this morning and viewed several pages. Shortly after noon today, the site changed seamlessly to represent our new president and his administration. The first official blog post was there. (www.whitehouse.gov)

So, here we go. The eyes of the world are upon us. The transition was smooth. Let the real work begin.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

As a Princeton and Harvard graduate, among other things, I think Michelle will always be her own person.