Friday, December 5, 2008

Handy People

My father is the ultimate handy person. I have never lived anywhere that he didn't build or remodel something. I am 45-years old and the trend continues.

The closet in my childhood bedroom is about 1/8 the size of the closet in the home I shared with the husband. Needless to say, I haven't moved all my clothes here (and I need to get rid of a lot) but for this transition period, I need enough to get through various situations including appropriate items to wear to job interviews and to church.

We bought one of those portable, snap-it-together clothes racks on wheels. Flimsy and useless. I hung a few things on it and it fell over. My dad and I picked it up and later it snapped. I'm not talking coats or anything heavy -- just a few sweaters, etc.

Yesterday, he went up in the garage loft and hauled down some spare lumber. (Doesn't everyone have a stash of timber ready to go?) Plus, it was about 10 degrees outside. He made this super-sturdy closet rod and mounted it in the laundry room. It's very large.

If he had surprised me with a Mercedes, I would not have been as happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when your Dad turned your second bedroom in that apartment into a super cool giant closet. What a guy....luv deb.

Anonymous said...

We have a stash of lumber, plumbing, tools, car parts and you name it across the street. It really comes in handy just about the time I am convinced we need to get rid of half of it. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

I love reading stories about your dad.

Anonymous said...

I love reading stories about your dad, too. They always make me smile :)
This one reminds me of something my dad would do. There is always spare lumber around. And if there's not, he'll use something else he has handy.
We are lucky women to have such wonderful dads that love us so much! Kylee