Friday, December 12, 2008

Mr. Pam Needs a Grocery Gift Certificate

Do you remember Pat on Saturday Night Live? Is it a man or a woman? Does he/she have a life?

In my childhood neighborhood, we had this girl who was that androgynous type. Maybe asexual is a better word. We knew she was female because her name was Pam. She lived with her parents through childhood and adulthood. At some point, my father started referring to her as "Mr. Pam" and unfortunately it caught on.

Once again, I am trying to watch Jeopardy and there is an interruption. My father is speaking to the dogs as if I were not in the room:

"Mr. Pam is eating again -- Stay out of her way."

"Married -- Divorced; Married -- Divorced -- Mr. Pam can't make up her mind."

"No Christmas presents for the doggies -- Mr. Pam is eating us out of house and home."

As if I needed another nickname, I have now become the neighborhood's new Mr. Pam. We have laughed ourselves stupid over it.

5 comments:

janis said...

Poor Mr Pam. I still love you!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that "Mr. Pam" got married, moved to Whiteland and had two children? Needless to say, her parents followed her down there. Patsy

Anonymous said...

Boy did this bring back memories!!

I am still laughing.

Do you remember when her parents planted bowling trophies in the perimeter of their front yard as landscaping?

Rest in peace Smokey and Blanche.

Glad to hear Pam married and had kids-- I did not remember that. She sure endured lots of verbal torture from our neighborhood which she never deserved. You Go Mr. Pam and your little Pamettes!!!

Rich

Anonymous said...

God how I love your dad's sense of humor, he's a nut!!

I do remember that every time Blanche and Smokey drove past Bob and Maryann's house they honked the horn.

Our landscaping could use a boost, does anyone have any extra trophies laying around?

Kim

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, you are nuts! There is no comparison between the two of you. Patsy