Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happiness Guilt

How weird is this? I am beating myself up for being happy. My life is in shambles yet, I have peace of mind and joy in my heart.

Then I feel guilty for not being miserable.

Many people who know a portion or even all of my current problems ask me, "How are you?" with that Oh-You-Poor-Dear tone of voice. I probably sound ridiculous when I answer, "Great!"

For the first time in years, I like the person in my mirror. I am truly excited about the choices before me -- even the dreadfully difficult ones. I am strong and I like it. I just need to work on the guilt part.

5 comments:

janis said...

It's not weird at all! It is wonderful! You deserve to be happy. I love seeing you back. Gabby loves sharing a "crate" with you too!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sheri. I have been praying for along time, asking God to give you great joy. You deserve that. The power of prayer, a very powerful, and awsome experience.

Darin (HB)

Anonymous said...

Kim refers to that as "Catholic" guilt. I think it is just human nature. You are going to be just fine! Patsy

Anonymous said...

Could the guilt actually be that you feel bad for neglecting yourself for so long?-You DID do something wrong-you ignored your own needs-It sounds like you are on the road to forgiving yourself-the guilt will go away after that.

Anonymous said...

You deserve to be happy. I am happy for you. It's great to have you back. You look great. Love ya Sis.