Monday, December 1, 2008

A Simplified Christmas

For the first time in at least 18 years, I will not be celebrating Christmas in my usual fashion. I will not be organizing a family photo, addressing and mailing hundreds of cards, decorating every room, trimming a live tree or hosting any parties. I will not be buying gifts and wrapping for hours. (Ok, I might buy the dog a new toy.) I will not be coordinating schedules to accommodate other people. I enjoy doing most of these things but this is not the year for it.

I am not skipping Christmas. I'm already listening to holiday music. I will help my oldies trim a small tree. I will keep my mother and sister company while they do their annual candy making. I will help my mother prepare a holiday meal. I will enjoy the children's Christmas show and the choir's cantata at church.

Tradition and rituals are important to me. This will be my first Christmas making some new ones.

1 comment:

janis said...

You have worked so hard on perfecting everyones Christmas. This year, your gift to many is, to learn that skill of doing it themselves. No disrespect intended for anyone. I know you loved making the magic happen. Now, let some of us teach you to relax and enjoy the season without running. Also, if you, your Mom, & Stacey need help making that candy... you know who is ready to put on my Christmas apron!