Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sexting

When I was a young girl, our way of letting a boy know we had a crush on him was to:
Pass a note to a girlfriend hoping she would let someone know who could pass the information along to him.
Or, call his house and hang up. This usually happened during sleepovers.

We did not have caller ID. Many of us still had party lines. Even so, teenagers are usually pretty transparent and it's not hard to figure out who has a crush on whom.

Technology has given us many gifts but it has also opened Pandora's box. A survey discussed on morning television today cited that one in five teenage girls admits to sending nude or semi-nude photos of herself to a boy. Apparently, boys are also photographing and posting their private parts.

I can be self-righteous about this because I have never done it and will never do it. But even in my carefree, pre-Internet, pre-social networking and naive days, I NEVER would have allowed a nude photo of myself. Even I was smart enough to realize there would still be negatives that could be redeveloped. There would still be break-ups where people forgot to gather the incriminating evidence.

What seems like a joke, a funny stunt or a dare can become life altering. I would hate to see a loved one denied law school admission because of some slutty photos on My Space. I would hate to see the look on the groom's face when his "friends" show him the wild and reckless days of the bride. I would hate to sit in a job interview and realize the person I am asking to hire me has seen me nude because he's linked in. This all happens. Seemingly, every day.

I've only recently learned to text. Once again, I'm way behind. Once again, I'm glad.

3 comments:

janis said...

Earlier this year my daughter told me about these 8th & 9th grade girls that we sending her senior guy friends these kind of pictures. She was as appalled as I. We discussed this lewd behavior and she couldn't believe these girls thought this was okay. Her senior guy friends even thought it was outrageous.

I am grateful she would never want to do such a thing. In fact she is also very cautious about any photo taken of her as she knows how easily it can be put up on the internet.

cecily crossman said...

LOVE your music! I'm leaving for the north early in the morning. I promise not to take any pictures with my cell phone.

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear Brenda Lee's Jingle Bell Rock, I think of Christmas Eve and your mom and dad! I don't typically like Christmas music, but this one always makes me smile :) Some of my favorite childhood memories are of Christmas Eve with your family.
Love, Kylee