Friday, November 9, 2007

Adventuresome People

There must be a certain gene that makes people look at physical challenges with a gleam in their eyes. I missed that gene. I'm a 'fraidy cat. Scientists will probably discover a vaccine for it but I'm guessing it won't be in my lifetime. I wouldn't take it anyway -- I prefer to watch.

Ann Curry (The Today Show) has been broadcasting from Antarctica this week. It took approximately 10 or so tries for her to be able to go to the South Pole. Weather can change in a nanosecond and planes cannot land. She made it yesterday. She is earthy and beautiful, regardless of the situation. She looks good in a war zone or in a parka when it's 50 degrees below zero. I've never cared for her interview style -- she's a little too gushy for me -- but I sure do admire her spirit. I've watched her handle every assignment, from bungee jumping to sky diving, from flying faster than the speed of sound to whatever is thrown at her next. As someone said this morning, "If they offered to send her to the moon, she would go." I'm always incredulous at her willingness to do whatever.

I remind myself that the father-in-law was a pilot in WWII and he was shot down. He wasn't doing it for the thrill -- he did it for our country.

My biggest physical challenge is walking a dog who is stronger than I. I prefer the mental challenges.

Some things, like climbing Mt. Everest, seem absurd to me. Then I get a little perturbed when my tax dollars are used to send the rescue teams out.

My life is already an adventure without seeking additional thrills.

No comments: