Friday, November 9, 2007

Tie a Yellow Ribbon

Do you remember the song, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the old oak tree?" Tony Orlando and Dawn made lots of money with this song. (They were a wacky mixture.) The song became a tribute to returning veterans or a way of honoring soldiers who did not return. This was very big in the Vietnam era.

Do you know that the song is actually about a man being released from PRISON and hoping his girlfriend will take him back?

Veteran's Day is upon us and I live with three veterans.

I watched a very disturbing clip today of clueless young people touring the monuments of Washington, DC. They almost seemed to take pride in their ignorance of our constitution, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and our current situation. (Yes, I yelled and threw wadded up tissues at the television.)

Beyond anger, this makes me immeasurably sad.

I will never serve in the armed forces. But, I will respectfully honor those who have. On Sunday, I may tie three yellow ribbons on the breakfast chairs. Hangdog won't get it but the mother-in-law and the husband will appreciate the effort.

I will not force them to listen to my version of, "Billy, Don't Be a Hero." They've already served their time.

No comments: