Monday, November 12, 2007

The Fourth Child

My cousin Sarah is getting close to birthing her fourth child. (Fourth!) As I write this, there may be another little girl who has emerged into this world. I'm just waiting for the call.

I love those studies about birth order and personalities. I am an only child so the only studies that pertain to me always say the same thing: selfish, determined and stubborn. (Guilty!)

The husband grew up in a family of four children. His mother had some serious health issues with the last two. That's when siblings learn to pitch in.

Sarah and her husband are well qualified to welcome a fourth child. They have the financial resources and the tight-knit community of a loving family and great friends. Plus, they love being parents and they're good at it. (Did I mention that her husband runs a Microsoft company and she is an attorney?) They're accomplished in ways that don't even make my radar screen.

Lots of people were a little surprised when they decided to have a fourth child. Not me. She grew up in a family of four children. (She was the third.)

Her younger brother, the fourth child, must've had to prove his worth. I suspect the fourth child has to work a little harder to get noticed for various accomplishments. Somebody in the family has probably already been there, done that.

"I learned to skip today."
"I got an A on my spelling test."
"I made the team."
"I've been accepted into the college of my choice."
"I'm getting married."
"I just got a great job."
"My wife and I are having a baby."

John is the fourth child. As his mother describes him, he has no trouble being "out there." My Gosh, he had to be. He holds his own as a parent, a husband, a son and a businessman. His civic contributions are astounding. Plus, every time I Google him I get everything from company business to the Wall Street Journal.

I often ask him for advice. For such a busy man, he always calls me or emails me immediately. Sometimes he asks for my help and that makes me feel loved and needed.

Oh, he keeps his share of secrets but I guess we all do that.

Sarah is getting ready to welcome her fourth child. At some point, John will give this child a lot of great advice.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

John is an extraordinary person. He is such a high achiever, he could easily be mistaken for the first child. The best part is that he is a wonderful human being in all respects. I am crazy about him.

Sandy said...

I am also crazy about Sarah and her husband. Their children are blessed to be in their family.