Monday, November 5, 2007

What's the Line?

A "fair weather fan" used to be an accurate description of me... used to be. I've been transformed.

I've bounced around (and been thrown around) football fields during my short tenure as a cheerleader. I've been to lots of high school, college and professional games but I confess I attended for the people watching or to chat with friends. I never understood the game. Now I really watch.

I'm far from being an expert but I understand more now. I get the line of scrimmage. I know when to cheer and when to scream, "Cheaters!" at the screen. Screaming at the screen seems to take up a lot of my time during a game.

All of a sudden, I can't own enough clothing in royal blue. I've actually visited the NFL website. I'm starting to schedule my weekends around the home team's football game. I read the sports section of the newspaper.

My new favorite thing is to ask the husband, "What's the line?" right before the game begins. I love the look on his face. Then, I leave the room. I hope he thinks I'm calling my bookie.

No comments: