Monday, November 19, 2007

Hide and Seek

We played hide and seek for hours when I was a child. What seemed like tons of children ran through the neighborhood, climbed trees and ran screeching to avoid getting tagged. Hiding was the best part.

The other day it was raining. Not just a little drizzle, it was raining hard. The oldies fried up breakfast and then she whipped a shower cap out of her robe pocket, put it on and headed out the door. Bizzare behavior, even for her.

She came back in (soaked) with a box of donuts in her hands. After feeding Hangdog his required dessert, she donned the shower cap again and headed back out.

Curiosity got the best of me so I asked, "Is there a reason you're storing donuts in your trunk?" (You remember what curiosity did to the cat.) She unloaded on me. "I'm tired of YOUR HUSBAND making comments about how much junk his daddy eats so he just doesn't have to see it."

I decided not to remind her that the husband wasn't even home. Plus, whenever she's cranky with him, she conveniently forgets that my husband is HER son.

I understand hiding stuff. I've done it. Many years ago I hid some mini Heath bars in the laundry room and allowed myself one a day. The daughter came home from college, started doing laundry and found my stash. Oh well, I didn't need it anyway.

Brownies and cookies tend to disappear rather quickly around here so I've stashed a few for the husband on occasion.

It extends beyond food. There's a lot of hidden jabs and innuendos in various conversations. I stay out of the way but my antennae is up.

Today, I'm just hiding. But I'm not kidding myself. I will be found.

No comments: