Saturday, November 3, 2007

Running Away

Even though I love to poke fun at my parents or tell revealing stories about the early years, I must admit that my childhood was bliss. I was loved and protected. We always had the essentials and if there were things missing, they weren't important. We didn't go to Europe on vacation. We didn't belong to a country club. I didn't notice; I didn't care. The laughter to tears ratio was 95:5. My parents are extremely funny people. That's part of their magic.

I was not one of those children who ran away from home. It never occurred to me. I ran TO home.

There's this television spot that's running nationwide right now for The Invisible Fence Company. It's haunting and more than one girlfriend has mentioned that it gives her nightmares. It's about your dog running away because you don't have an invisible fence. What the commercial doesn't tell you is the line is buried about 1/2 inch under ground and the likelihood of it being cut when you mow your yard or edge your lawn or shovel snow is pretty large. Then you get to pay a big fat bill to have it repaired.

Now I have a wireless system. It works and the only thing that can destroy it is a power outage. So, I don't think the dog will run away from home any time soon. Actually, she's a little like me, she runs TO home.

The oldies have been running away from home in the past couple of days. I think she's trying to make a point: We're not infirm; We're very busy people! I suspect this has something to do with conversations with Big Daddy but I'm not asking.

I never ran away as a child. Every once in a while, I consider it now. But, I'm taking the dog and Big Daddy with me.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

Wanting to run away WITH your husband is very cool.

Don't know that I could share my home with hostile relatives at this stage of my life.

janis said...

take me instead!