Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pod People

When I was a little girl, Friday night was scary movie night. This was a standing date with my dad. If I had the audacity to fall asleep, my dad would poke me. We saw all of the great ones:
Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest, Rear Window, etc.
My personal favorite was:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
They remade this movie in the 70s but nothing tops the creepiness of the original version. It's a little like The Stepford Wives because the humans are being replaced.

There is a point to this story.

We are pod people. My mother coined this phrase about my country club friends. She thinks we're "peas in a pod." She's only partially correct.

Yes, we all spend an inordinate amount of time together. Some play golf, some play cards, some just lounge in Cocktail Corner during the pool season. Yes, we know way too much about each other's marriages, children, oldies, etc. We can get on each other's nerves. Then we turn around and go out to dinner or on vacation together.

The men handle the skirmishes better than the women. They can almost come to blows and then play golf the next day. Women have long memories. Plus, we're protective of our people. Family may come first but many of these people would throw themselves in front of a bus for me. The feeling is mutual.

Some are wealthy; some are scraping by. Some love to flaunt their power and prestigious positions; others love the bargain hunting. Some love to brag; others love to gossip.

On Monday nights, The husband and I meet various pod people. It's a ritual. During the summer, I meet lots of pod people at the pool. My holidays are intertwined with family traditions and pod people parties. I work out with some of my pod people three times a week.

The oldies made a gigantic leap when they moved here from Mississippi. They didn't have a lot of choices. Now that they've been here two years, I see how much they miss friends and some sort of a social life. We've tried but unless people start knocking on the dungeon door, their social circle is not likely to expand.

We're not peas in a pod but on some days we're close.

All of this reminiscing makes me want to watch a scary movie with my dad.

4 comments:

cecily crossman said...

Yes, the 1956 version with Kevin McCarthy and Dana (just couldn't stay awake) Wynters was the best!

Your dad and I have always liked the same movies.

Anonymous said...

Just trying to see if I can comment now. Do they still make movies as good as those were? Patsy

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am back! Patsy

Sandy said...

It's good to have you back, Patsy.