Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Christmas Card

I am a card addict. Although I mess up, I try to remember birthdays and anniversaries. It's fun and people seem to appreciate it. It's always kind of jarring when someone says to me, "Yours was the only birthday card I received."

The oldies love to go to the mailbox. I hate them sorting through my mail but I let it go. It's all junk and bills. I like the mailbox around my birthday (Yeah! Cards for me!) and the holidays.

Lots of people have given up sending Christmas cards due to the hassle, postage costs, etc. Not us! This is my favorite ritual of the holidays and I have every holiday card received for the last 10 years, at least. Many years ago, the husband and I decided to venture away from Hallmark and do an original card for the holidays. We're marketing people -- easy enough!

We forgot a few things. We forgot that we're both Type A and think we can out-concept each other. We still forget that shooting for the perfect photo is like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

He forgets that I hand address every card and at last count, we send out at least 350 of them. (You have to die or be put on the Roman Do Not Mail List to fall off of our holiday card list.) He forgets that it must be printed and some years, art directed. (We know people.)

I love coming up with the concept. I love the debate while he puts his spin on it and we have to defend our own ideas. I love it that he cares about this.

One year, we were not in a good place in our marriage. We had a beautiful card and I struggled with whether or not to send it. In the end, we decided it represented the best of us. Plus, we wanted to extend joyous wishes. By the time those cards hit the mailbox, we were healing.

Don't tell me Christmas cards aren't important.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I get 100s of cards but yours is my favorite!

Please don't ever put me on the Roman Do Not Mail list.

Anonymous said...

We have enjoyed your cards over the years and got to see how the kids grew. Even though I do not send cards I do enjoy getting them from friends. Love, Patsy

janis said...

We were just discussing this tonight. Yesterday after eating like pigs, my Mom took a shot of a of us, "The girls. Dogs, Husband & me". Rather than the hassle of getting that perfect picture of the girls & dogs with tree this year, I am opting to see if this shot turned out just to forgo the hassle of taking the perfect shot & diving into the "handwriting each card" as it takes forever! Although unlike you, people come & go on my list. I dont mean to exclude, just sometimes get, out of sight out of mind. So dont laugh too hard if it is a hilarious shot of your aging buddy in the card this year!