Thursday, November 29, 2007

Living Out Loud

Anna Quindlen, one of my favorite writers, had a column with the New York Times. Not just a little column... she won the Pulitzer Prize for writing about her life and her opinions.

Instead of resting on her laurels, she went on to write several fabulous (and haunting) novels. She also seems to be a pretty impressive mother of three children, politically active, supportive spouse of a busy man, etc. It's a good thing I'm a fan because it exhausts me to think about her life.

Her New York Times column, Life in the 30s, was "out there" for the time. It was raw and honest. It covered everything from her desire to have another baby to her feelings about religion to the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. That takes guts.

So I sit here in my little office, spouting memories and opinions to the world. I annoy people and they let me know. Some think I'm sugar-coating everything. Others think I'm harsh. I wish Anna Quindlen was my friend so I could call her and ask, "What about this?"

I'm guessing but here's what I think she would say: Write. Write with integrity and let the chips fall where they may.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I'm sure Anna gets her share of criticism. And I think you're exactly right about what she'd tell you.

janis said...

Anna Quindlen would love you! Cess is right, I am sure she has gotten her share of criticism, as you have those of us that love your writings as you loved hers. I always told you should write a column in the paper.

Anonymous said...

What I love is your openess to criticism as you express yourself. I wish I could be as open. Keep up the good work. Love, Patsy