Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fliers

When I was a cheerleader, they did not use this term. When both my goddaughters did it, they were fliers.

Fliers stand at the top of the pyramid and count on the people below to catch them. Fliers get tossed around. In their 40s, fliers get picked up by big men and swung around the dance floor. Fliers are the little people who get pulled under the table.

College football was massive in my day. We had a crummy team but we were there supporting our guys. I hope they don't do this anymore but it was normal for some big guy to pick me up and start passing me through the stands. I loved all these guys and for a wimp like me, I was never scared.

I've always had big guys to save me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lucky you!! When I was a cheerleader in the late 60's and 70's I was always the "horse" that means all the skinny girls,like you,climbed on top of you. and waved their petite little hands in the air screaming,"go Bobcats" In my day you didn't have to be good-just do a cheer in front of the student body and if they wanted you they voted for you. Boys from the south really know a good horse when they see one. Love yall both