Friday, September 19, 2008

Maintenance Week

The last time the husband went on a trip, I declared it maintenance week. I had the air conditioning serviced and the carpet cleaned. I installed all the computer upgrades and had the water softener serviced. I sorted through papers and tried to file. I updated my iPod and loaded new songs.

I put super gooey creams on my hands and feet and went to bed with gloves and socks on, just to keep in the moisture. I put deep conditioner in my hair and slept in a shower cap.

I worked on projects and occasionally did some writing in the middle of the night. No one to check on me or scold me.

Unless you just got married last week, you probably don't look the same as the day you were married. I don't. But I also respect the fact that the husband probably doesn't want to crawl into bed with a woman wearing socks, gloves and a shower cap. I try to do my maintenance in private.

There's another trip coming up in a few weeks. I'm making my list.

No comments: