Sunday, September 21, 2008

When do You Get the Privilege?

There are a couple of interesting debates that I am following. One has to do with lowering the drinking age from 21-years old to 18-years old. The argument is that a young person who is able to serve his or her country in the military, vote for our president, get married and/or have a child might have a right to buy a beer.

The flip side of this (and the irony is not lost on me) is people who want to up the age to get a driver's licence.

Just like every other phase of life, some people are more mature and certainly more responsible. If I had the answer, I might run for office.

In our state, we're also debating a bill that would allow liquor to be sold on Sunday. It's been amended so many times that now you can order a drink in a restaurant or in a sports facility but you can't walk into a store and buy a case of beer. This makes no sense to anyone but all the politicos are rallying.

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm not one of those 15- or 16-year olds waiting to have the freedom of a driver's license. I've never been in the military and I'm so thankful no one put a rifle in my hand at 18-years old. The Sunday liquor law is annoying and I do understand the loss of revenue but of all the problems in this state and this country, this little tidbit doesn't come close to making my top ten.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

If I were voting I'd want to amend the laws that say 18 year olds can join the millitary, get married and ESPECIALLY have children.

Also, no drinking.

Why? Teens brains can not yet determine how risky this behavior can be.

As to voting, most 18 year old, if they're in school, know more about the government than most of the rest of us. So yes.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Sheri and Cess. Patsy