Sunday, September 14, 2008

His Honor

I'm a peon swimming in a sea of impressive people. I realize there are many traits that make people impressive but for now, I'm talking professional achievement.

On Friday, the husband and I joined many friends to watch The Honorable William T. Lawrence sworn in as a United States District Judge. I watched him sworn in as a state judge in 2002 but this is federal and it's a huge accomplishment. It involves:
Being nominated by the President.
Going before the Senate for confirmation.
Having a background check that sounds intrusive and invasive.

I suspect it also includes:
Sleepless nights where you evaluate every decision you've ever made and every dumb thing you've ever done.


Every dignitary I could bring to mind was there: the governor, the sheriff, the head of the Indiana Supreme Court and many others. Our esteemed senior senator, Richard Lugar, spoke on his behalf.

If you've ever been in a courtroom, most of them are quite bland. It's nothing like you see on "Law and Order." Our federal courthouse is quite majestic and would make a great movie set. Picture "A Few Good Men." Now bump it up a notch. It's that beautiful and a little overwhelming.

It was a great balance of toasts to his accomplishments and laughs about his height. No one lets his head get too big, not that there was ever any fear of that. When his wife participated in the swearing in and then put the robe on for the first time, I cried. I heard a few sniffles behind me.

My friend Billy is now a United States District Judge. When we meet at the club or a group dinner, I always say, "Hello, Your Honor."

To know him is my honor.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

What an honor to be on the guest list for the swearing-in ceremony. Your friend, the honorable judge, sounds like a great guy. I have heard you speak very highly of him quite often.