Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hey Buddy

Yesterday I dealt with a plumber for a couple of hours. There's always something in need of repair in this house.

Every company wants to sell you a service contract. It doesn't matter if it's a plumber, exterminator, carpet cleaner, heating/cooling company or any other home repair service. We all know that is how they make the most money and I try to work the numbers. That usually involves following them around with a calculator which for some reason makes them nervous.

My plumber yesterday was selling the "Buddy Plan." If you join the Buddy plan, they waive the $89 service call charge. They also advertise that they will match any other plumber's offer, plus 10 percent. (I scoured the Sunday paper and the Yellow Pages -- I found one for $100 off any service.)

The young man who was servicing my water heater and toilets was amused. He said, "You're toying with me."

There are lots of seasonal checks that come with the Buddy plan. You get discounts on service. Then he said, "If you're a Buddy and you call in for service, you automatically go to the top of the list. You are guaranteed service the same day."

Sign me up! I'm all about priority service. I like to be first in line.

I hope I don't have plumbing problems for a while but if I do, I'm going to call and say, "Hey Buddy! Get over here now."

No comments: