Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul Newman

Paul Newman's death on Saturday shook me a little. It's hard to lose an icon and I was pretty crazy about him. I admired his charity work, his enduring marriage to Joanne Woodward and of course, his acting. The blue eyes didn't hurt.

Several years ago, I met him. OK, maybe "met" is a stretch. He was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (he owns a racing team,) and I was taking corporate clients through the garage area. He was cordial to my clients. He was also wearing sunglasses so I didn't get to see the blue eyes.

I buy his salad dressing and spaghetti sauce -- not just for the cause. This afternoon I might watch, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Brick was a disturbed and troubled character. (Probably because of Big Daddy.)

Unlike Brick, Paul Newman seemed to be a well-centered man.

Now if something happens to Robert Redford, I will really lose it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to tell you about the first movie I saw Paul Newman in. It was around 1958 and several friends and I went to the Rivoli Theater on 10th St. (Can you imagine going there today?) We saw a WW II movie titled "Until They Sail" that had a beautiful blue eyed actor named Paul Newman. Needless to say, we sat through it a second time just to drool over this wonderful man. I know we all dreamed about him that night. He was my love for many, many years. Partly because of his love for Joann Newman. What a wonderful couple. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

I agree with you and Patsy.

Also like to be reminded to movies at the Rivoli.

Yes, Redford needs to take his vitamins.