Friday, September 5, 2008

Oh, I Could Never Tell My Parents That!

In my childhood, my mother was the Sergeant and I was the private-in-training. She took this job seriously and I am grateful. We tangled, we fussed and we certainly had our years of tussles.

I'm not sure how she did it. She let me go from the child she was responsible for to a friend. To his credit, my father was and is a great buffer.

Lots of my friends are close with their parents. They love them and care for them. I try to do the same and I know I make them crazy sometimes. My mother still falls into drill Sergeant mode and I still become the rebellious child. (This is usually when one of us hangs up.)

We have our own version of communication. If I do something stupid or embarrassing, I tell my mother and she tells my father. If I'm scared, I do not hesitate to tell them. If I'm angry, I like to tell my mother because I'm convinced she has some magical powers and maybe she can put the whammy on them.

We're all clued in that we talk about each other. If I'm with my father, my mother is certain we are dissecting her. When she says to me, "your father and I were talking last night." I get a little nervous. My father gave up long ago -- he knows we discuss him.

I've tried to figure out how this works and I think it comes down to brutal honesty and wacky humor. When my father had a bad reaction (not life-threatening) to a medication last week, my mother described it to me in detail. I laughed so hard the husband was considering CPR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew your Dad was having sinus problems. Glad to hear he now knows what it feels like to breathe clearly.

Mark Payton had a genetic heart valve problem arise and had it fixed a couple years ago. He felt lousy his whole life and until this manifested and was fixed he never knew what feeling good was like.

Too bad it took so long to get this problem fixed.

Hope you are well--- I have been to Alaska four times and was elated to see McCain picked a person from that state as his running mate. At his age, she may very well be the first woman president. Mom, Dad, Kim, Eric and I have been to Wasilla where she was Mayor. This was back in 1998. We stopped there to get some lunch from the McDonalds in the local Walmart. This is also the official starting point for the Iditarod. Although it has only 5000 people-- it is a suburb of Anchorage and believe me-- a 5000 person town in Alaska looks HUGE after you have driven around the state.

Take care---- Rich