Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bad Boys, Bad Boys

Do you ever watch "Cops?" I must admit that this particular show has never made it to my must-see TV schedule. But last night my oldies were preparing to eat a little ice cream (I'm in!) and watch a little TV. I stretched out across the end of their bed hoarding my ice cream from the little dogs. "Cops" is apparently a Saturday night ritual. I pretended to work on the crossword puzzle but I got sucked in too.

Then I got the giggles. The alleged criminals are so stupid! Between my laughter and my mother's running commentary, my father started saying, "Shut up, please!" Of course, this only made me laugh harder. At one point he said, "Third warning! Shut up, please!" (He says this with a great deal of charm but the annoyance on his face is apparent.)

My father is my hero and he tolerates oh so much from me. He would never admit it but I think he's a little freaked out for reasons that are obvious to me. It's not my presence and it's not my dog. It's not the emotional cesspool I am swimming in.

It's very simple: My mother and I never shut up. And when the laughter starts to roll, any attempt to contain it makes it worse. We just screech louder.

It feels good to laugh loud and often. The bad boy of this house is going to have to get over it.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I used to like Cops because I've lived in some of the most frequent locations for filming.

Including my hometown! I'm always looking for old boyfriends.

Good that you're having some belly laughs.

janis said...

I'm cracking up! I can just picture this scenario!

When my Father In Law, had a brief stay in the hospital a few years ago, my Mother In Law stayed with us. "Cops" was the only must see on her list. A daily routine, which I reluctantly sat with her through. Addicting... I too can not believe how stupid these people are! My Mother In Law, talks to the tv, and I am trying not to laugh. I missed it though when she went back home & catch it now & then. Same stupid people!

Anonymous said...

OMG, when you told this story today I didn't think of this but. . .. it reminds me of the time when Sheri and I were at my house and Grandma Love was watching us and we couldn't stop laughing. She was getting so mad at us and we just wanted to eat ice cream. So we decided that if we covered our eyes with scarves so we couldn't see each other we woouldn't laugh. How wrong we were, it just made us laugh harder and Grandma Love got even madder (I know, I don't think madder is a word). Anyway, thanks for the memories! Kim