Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Jewish Woman in the United Methodist Church

There's a woman in my church and to say she is involved is to do her a disservice. We've been acquaintances for years -- we've both been involved in media and marketing, we have some mutual friends, etc. Our paths have crossed often.

She's on church committees. She might be handing out the bulletin one week and passing the collection plate the next. (I have never done these things.)

When she began showing up in church a few years ago, I was mildly shocked. She was dating a man who attended our church and whose family has been there a lot longer than my family. I said to my mother, "I thought she was Jewish."

She is. But she has embraced this little church. She works for it. In some ways, she married into it. Lots of couples who have different religions go their separate ways. Instead, she chose to be inclusive and included.

The reporter in me is curious. Does it feel funny when we take communion? Do you feel embraced? (I hope she does.) Do you go to Temple and pray for guidance or do you pray for forgiveness for having a foot in both camps?

I have no preconceived notions. I have a lot of admiration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This lady is the perfect pastor's wife. She does all the things I should.Communion is one of the most sacred acts we do. We should never take communion unless we are truely sorry for our sins and vow to do better.--my problem is I AM sorry I just continue to sin.Some people just push my buttons and I'm right back where I started. Good thing God continues to forgive me and says,"Beth, pay attention to the pastor". If you have never been asked to assist with communion,volunteer or ask your pastor if you can help. You will never have such a moving experience.