Saturday, November 8, 2008

Domain Names

I like to own things, especially anything that has my name attached to it. I own my domain name for my personal name and my company name. Frankly, I think everyone should. A couple of years ago I considered buying domain names for my parents and immediate family as a Christmas gift. It proved impractical but now I wish I had done it. Many that I investigated are no longer available.

Occasionally, you'll read a story about some person who buys up domain names that have the potential to be very lucrative. It's like an Internet hedge fund. They're betting that someone will want that domain enough to buy them out -- for big bucks. I wonder how many people tried to buy Obama.com (or .net or .org) a couple of years ago.

I've shared a couple of logos and email boxes which makes me incredibly nervous. I used to say I'm not good at sharing. The startling revelation to me is that I am excellent at it. If you ask it of me and it's within my power, I will give it.

No comments: