Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thank a Veteran

The oldies served in WWII. The husband and his brother served in Vietnam. I think we forget to remind children and grandchildren of this sacrifice.

If you were able to go to your house of worship without government intervention, you should thank a veteran.

If you cast your vote in the election last week without fear of repercussion, thank a veteran.

If you feel free to fly a flag or burn a flag without going to prison, thank a veteran.

If you own a gun or would spend your life trying to rid the world of guns -- that is your right. Thank a veteran.

If you get into a political conversation over lunch or in a taxi, you need not fear. You're entitled to your opinion. Someone fought and many died for your right to free speech. Thank a veteran.

On election day, I voted and then started my routine errands. In my usual hurry, I nearly collided with an African American man trying to maneuver his cane and the shopping cart. (I'm a sucker for oldies) We were both wearing our "I Vote, I Count" stickers. Somehow, we ventured into a conversation about military experience. Turns out he was in the army during WWII. He whipped out his wallet to show me photos.

I said, "I have many people in my family who are like you."

He said, "Black people?"

I said, "Probably ... but I really meant people who have served our country."

Tuesday is Veteran's Day. I salute all of those who fought for our rights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I get the African American thing. BUT, aren't we all Americans? That is a recent pet peeve of mine. I am a Latvian, English, Turkish, Native, Who Knows what American. But proud of it. Deb.

janis said...

That was well put. I am always trying to figure out what to say to our Veterns and men currently in uniform. I always smile and say Thank you, but I wish we had some universal Thank You special for our military. I am so indebted to them for keeping us safe and free.