Monday, November 10, 2008

A glimpse

I've recently had a glimpse of a few things:

I broke my toe and then yesterday managed to mangle the rest of my left foot. Handicap bars have become very important to me. I am glimpsing oldieville and I don't like it.

The husband is working on some different assignments. This involves asking me to type things, set up computer documents and being prepared for him to bop in and out during the day. I am not emotionally equipped for this. The oldies were together 24/7. This is not my plan with any person on the planet.

My father had a health scare and thankfully it has been resolved. For a moment, I saw the little girl who reaches for her daddy's hand and experienced the fear of him not reaching back. We sat in church yesterday and we held hands.

My aunt, who sings in the choir, began rolling her eyes when someone was speaking too long. I had a glimpse of Wild Bill.

I took a long, hard look in the mirror yesterday. (It was easy to do because I was crawling in my closet and could not escape.) I did not see my mother's beauty, but I caught a glimpse. I did not see my Aunt Connie's artistic talent, but there was a blip. I did not identify with Aunt Judy's ability to make us all laugh, but occasionally that comes through in me. I do not have my Aunt Cess' talent for tolerance. I do not have her writing talents. But, I see her in me.

Inspiration comes in all forms. You might need a nudge, a blip or a reminder. Or, you might need to look in the mirror and see a glimpse of what you could be.

3 comments:

janis said...

Baby, I can't let you get old because you are younger than me, and I am not ready to get old.

I refuse to feel it, act it or be it. So, you are gonna have to wait a few more years!
But I do understand what you are saying and I do see some of my oldies ghost and feelings too, but I am forcing them back!
Not yet ready!

janis said...

PLEASE GET RID OF THAT DAMN WORD VERIFACATION!!! I STINK AT IT, IT HATES ME AND ALWAYS GIVES ME THE TOUGH ONES!

Anonymous said...

Your comment about your father touched me. In the last three years my wife has lost both her parents. She misses them daily.

We have lost three good friends in the last year; I can’t replace people like them.

We eat well and stay in shape but the truth is even if I live another 46 years only the next 16 have any chance of feeling good on a regular basis.

I have reconnected with my father and plan to live large for the next 16 years…

Mark