Sunday, November 30, 2008

When Cosmetic Surgery Goes Awry

In the last few days I've caught glimpses of two men who I used to consider very handsome. They now look like caricatures of their former selves. I don't know the names of Tony Curtis' or Tom Jones' plastic surgeons but don't go to him or her. I also used to think Meg Ryan was positively darling and she's had some freaky stuff done to her face also. And we can't forget the resident Queen of Plastic Surgery Freakland -- Joan Rivers.

Many years ago, a friend told me the optimum age to begin "refreshing" your face was right around age 40. (A deadline that blew by me several years ago.) I think she still gets annual tweaks because she continues to look fresh and younger than her years. Andrea Mitchell, the NBC correspondent, must have a great surgeon. She looks rested and natural instead of stretched and perpetually alarmed.

Like most women, I am just vain enough to wish to appear younger than my years. Lotions and potions are going to have to do the trick for me.

I thought the late actress Jessica Tandy (Driving Miss Daisy) was beautiful well into her 80s. Same with Katharine Hepburn. If they managed to age gracefully, I can attempt it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I caught sight of Marlo Thomas last night and I was shocked to see how freakie she looked. Too, too much. I agree, Jessica Tandy was gorgeous to the end. Patsy