Friday, November 14, 2008

Define Journalist

Define "journalist." Or, define "public figure." Do you realize that these are not only descriptive titles -- they are often legal definitions.

Our legal system is woefully behind, especially as it pertains to the explosion of the Internet. Now they are scrambling to define titles, protection, etc. In this day and age, any person who contributes to a blog, writes to the editor or wields a microphone may or may not be defined (in our legal system) as a journalist.

Am I a journalist? I went to college and I have the journalism degree in my office. Yet, I've never worked for the traditional media. I write a blog and contribute to others. Yet, I wouldn't compare that to investigative reporting. I've written things where my name is front and center. I've also written thousands of things where you will never see my name.

I don't plan on getting in trouble with the law, at least as it pertains to my writing. Still, it's a question to ponder when I get into controversial subjects.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

Just keep doing what you do best.

Anonymous said...

Wow--- did you get challenged about this blog?

You are a journalist and a daily collumnist as far as I am concerned.

This blog pulls in far more readers than I thought you over expected. I am sure that is why you continue after the oldies past away.

If someone blew you crap about your journalistic credit-- screw them. If this was just a response to the talking head media-- screw them too!!!

Keep on keeping on--- your blogs are fun/insightful/informative......

You add pleasure to all that read this wheather we like your comments or not.

Keep this coming---- Rich

Sandy said...

Thank you, Rich, for your comment. I, too, think that a lot of people enjoy reading this blog, and Sheri is a talented writer. Your support means a lot to her and me.