Wednesday, November 26, 2008

If I Were a Boy

I was watching Beyonce perform on The Today Show this morning. I know who she is because I see her picture in People Magazine all the time. But, I admit to an unfamiliarity with her music. One of the songs she sang was "If I Were a Boy." It was as if someone knocked me over. Here are a few snippets of the lyrics:

If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I'd be a better man.

And ...

You don't listen to her
You don't care how it hurts
Until you lose the one you wanted
Cause you've taken her for granted.


At this point you're probably thinking that I'm reflecting on my own personal relationships. Of course that's a factor but it goes much beyond that.

I know some amazing and honorable men. Men who don't cheat, don't verbally or physically abuse anyone. Men who treat their wives, mothers, daughters, friends and employees with kindness and respect -- even if the women are stupid enough to provoke them.

I also know some cads. Some of them are lovable cads and frankly, since I'm not married to them, I don't really care what they do as long as they treat me with respect.

A few times I have been accused of wanting to be a man. I've never quite grasped that. Does that mean I want to be paid the same as a male colleague doing the same job? Guilty. Does that mean I feel my opinion should carry as much weight as the men in the room? Guilty.

I don't want to be a man. I'm pretty strong but I'm still a girly-girl at heart. To paraphrase Beyonce:

You're just a boy.
I would be a better man.

2 comments:

janis said...

There is no way in Hell, I have ever wanted or want now to be a boy/man. I am not jealous of them. Have no desire to be one.
Love being a woman.
Loved being a girl.
Loved playing with dolls.
Loved my Easy Bake Oven.
Love being silly.
Love being girly.
Love being bitchy.
Love having doors opened for me (although I am guilty of opening doors for other people as well)
Love that I was pregnant.
Loved giving birth.
Love singing, skipping and laughing, like a girl.
Love that my best friend is a girl.

janis said...

ps... Beyonce is just strange.