Sunday, May 20, 2007

Baby

It's been brought to my attention that the 18-year old probably doesn't enjoy being referred to as "the baby." This comes from the person who still considers me her baby.

I was reading about the 20-year anniversary of the movie, Dirty Dancing. The main character was named Frances, but everyone called her "Baby." As nicknames go, this one seems flattering and endearing.

The baby says that all old people read the obituaries, check the weather continuously and do the crossword. I'm officially an oldie! Have you ever noticed how many obituaries include a ridiculous nickname? How is there any dignity in listing someone as John "Buzz Saw" Doe? Ok, I made that one up but I have seen many more that were equally stupid.

The husband sometimes calls me "Babydoll." (When I'm annoying him he has other names that are not quite as flattering.)

I think it's an honor to be someone's "baby."

No comments: