Friday, May 18, 2007

Graduation Blues

I spent a fair amount of the morning addressing graduation announcements. This baby is going to be a high school graduate in a matter of days. I'm excited for him, yet it's gut wrenching. He's heading off to my alma mater in August. I remember my college days so it's easy for me to get nervous. (And I was a good girl most of the time.) We've already been through the college thing with his sister so you would think that I would be more prepared. Nope, think again.

Life used to be all about firsts. Your first kiss. Your first date. Your first car. Your first (fill in the blank.) Then, somehow a switch is thrown and you start thinking about lasts. The last summer with your baby at home. The last Christmas before your daughter moves away. The last time you spent with a friend who has died.

If I'm experiencing these thoughts in middle age, what must the oldies go through?

No comments: