Thursday, May 31, 2007

Girl Trips

Don't misunderstand. I love vacationing or traveling with my husband. It works out best if we do it with other couples so he has someone to play golf with.

I think girl trips are the salve for the tired and weary. They save your soul. There's something about hanging with the girlfriends, cooking something easy or not cooking at all, no makeup, no kids, no husbands. (Dogs permitted, depending on the location.)

There's an intimacy that surfaces when you're alone with the girls. Let's talk about the time that you really annoyed me. Let's talk about the friends that we miss. Let's talk about people's botched surgeries or bad clothing choices. Let's play cards. Let's talk about the kids and where we screwed up. Let's talk about the weird things going on with our bodies. Let's toot our own horns and honor each other.

Girl trips are a safe haven, just like golf trips for the men. I find it very sad that my mother-in-law has never been on one. When you're tethered, your choices are to either lie down and be complacent or take him with you.

I take several girl trips a year. They save my sanity.

No comments: