Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Road Trip

This is a story about a great idea that will turn into a nightmare. I am not psychic but I am able to determine when a situation will turn into a disaster.

The mother-in-law has decided she would like to hire one of the grandchildren to drive them around for a few weeks this summer to visit relatives and friends. I would love this! She would get to have an adventure and the husband and I could enjoy some time together and spend time with our child who is headed to college in August.

Here's the disaster: None of her grandchildren will want to do it. I am certain of it. She is going to have hurt feelings and the grandchildren will feel guilty. In the end, they won't go anywhere. These kids all have jobs, plans, friends, love interests, etc. None of them want to give up a chunk of their summer to deal with walkers, relatives they don't know, possible falls and sickness or whatever else might happen.

When I was 16-years old, my mother became a caregiver. She continued for the next several years with parents and other relatives. I was no help whatsoever. In fact, I wanted to run in the other direction. And, I did. Therefore, I cannot have any hard feelings about teenagers and young adults who do not wish to be put in this situation. They're all respectful and loving. Hanging with the oldies is not their idea of a good time.

Come to think of it, it's not mine either.

No comments: